Salvation & Baptism
Following Christ - How To Become A Christian
We joyfully share this information with you in anticipation of meeting you personally. Whether you are new to the community or have been here a while, we have a place for you. But even more importantly, God has a place for you and wants to change your life! If you want to accept Christ as your Savior and have certainty of eternal life, then pray this prayer from your heart:
“Lord Jesus, I know I am a sinner and have displeased You in many ways. I believe You died for my sin and only through faith in Your death and resurrection can I be forgiven. I want to turn from my sin and ask you to come into my life as my Savior and Lord. From this day on, I will follow You by living a life that pleases You. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for saving me. Amen.”
After you have received Jesus Christ into your life, tell a Christian friend about the important decision you have made. Follow Christ in believer’s baptism and church membership. Grow in faith and enjoy new friends in Christ by becoming a part of His church and attending the Bible Study Class the church has just for you. You’ll find others who will love and support you.
To join this church, contact Matt Hill here or call 972.564.3357 or click below to complete our Connect Card.
Baptism is an act of loving obedience to the explicit command of our Lord. Christ commanded His disciples to be baptized. Baptism is also a public testimony of one’s faith in Jesus Christ. "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven," Matthew 10:32
WHO should be baptized?
Baptism is only for those who have made a personal declaration of faith in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
- Those who understand that baptism is a picture of what Christ has done in their lives.
- Those who are not ashamed to follow Jesus Christ: Romans 6:4
- Infants cannot make this faith based decision.
WHERE is it done?
Baptism at First Baptist Forney is typically during a worship service. Fellow Christians should publicly baptize new believers in front of other followers of Christ wherever they gather. Our baptismal area is located in the Mall. Family members gather around and the baptism is video fed to the Worship Center.
WHY should I be baptized?
- Jesus tells you to "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them.." Matthew 28:19
- Baptism is your first step of obedience following the Lord. Jesus did (Mark 1:9) and His followers do too. (Acts 2:41; 8:38)
- Baptism is a picture of dying to your old way of life and being born again and raised to a new life. "We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new " Romans 6:4
- Baptism shows others that you have received Jesus Christ as your Savior. It is like married people wearing wedding rings as an outward sign of belonging to each other. Or like a rancher who brands his cattle as an outward sign of ownership. "Those who accepted his message were baptized..." Acts 2:41 baptism done?
HOW is baptism done?
It is done by immersion, being covered by or submerged in water.
The Greek word for baptism (baptizo) means " to immerse."
- Going down into water: Acts 8:38; John 3:23
- Being "buried" in water and then raised up from it: Romans 6: 4; Col. 2:12
- Coming out of the water: Mark 1:10; Acts 8:39
WHEN is baptism done?
- As is the case in the New Testament, new believers should follow through with baptism as soon as they have trusted Jesus as their Savior: Acts 2:41; 8:36; 16:14-15, 33
- Because it is done after someone becomes a believer in Jesus Christ, it is called believer's baptism.
- For this same reason, there is no biblical reason for infant baptism, because babies cannot "believe" in Jesus.
WHAT's stopping you?
Philip shared the story of Jesus Christ with a man from Ethiopia in Acts 8:36. After the man believed in Jesus, he wan ted to stop and be baptized right away. If you have put your faith in Jesus Christ, you should ask the same question the Ethiopian asked, "Look, here is water, why shouldn't I be baptized?"
Are you READY?
We would love to see you follow through with your faith by proclaiming that Jesus is your Lord, through baptism. This would be a real time of celebrating your new life in Jesus Christ. What a great event to invite your family, friends, and co-workers to attend. May God bless you as you follow our Lord.
To follow up with believer's baptism, contact the Church Office at 972.564.3357 or below to complete our Connect Card.